Riviera Maya, or more importantly 

CHICHENITZA, MEXICO!!!


June 18,2016

Cenote in Valladolid, Mexico

Once again, we headed to the greater Cancun, Mexico area.  This year, my mission was to show our kids the Mayan Pyramids and cenotes. Note to anyone headed there...take a fan spray bottle.  It is so hot it's almost unbearable.  Cenotes are natural spring water caves. The locals told us that the water from the cenote tastes like coconut water.   You are allowed to swim in the cenote but this tour did not have the time needed to do this. The tour we did was two hours at Chichenitza, and two hours in the town of Valladolid, Mexico. The best little buffet was in this town along with a beautiful Catholic Church. 

Chichenitza- The Mayan Pyramids

At the pyramids, you are unable to take a backpack into the pyramids We were given one umbrella, an ear piece to listen to the tour guide talk, and one water bottle.  There are places to purchase extra water but get ready to pay for that.  The economy is so bad that I bought two handmade cloth napkins for one dollar.  It seemed they would sell you anything for one dollar.  The craftsmanship that goes into making some of these masks is unbelievable. When I was purchasing school supplies yesterday, I thought about this man I took a photo of making a mask.  The list called for sharpened pencils...can we not make the kids even sharpen a pencil now? Here, this young man was making a Mayan Mask.  

Young Man carving Mayan Mask

Mayan girl with her new Barbie
Mayan Mother selling her handmade blankets

I carried with me a backpack and my camera on this excursion.  The backpack was full of flip flops and little toy trinkets to give to the poor. I found a little girl selling bracelets in the town of Valladolid. My friend Elsa and I whose family was also traveling with us...we were in tears over this little girl.  I gave her a small barbie princess toy.  Her face lit up and she couldn't put it in her bag. Her mother who was selling beautiful handmade blankets told us she had a neurological problem. She is only six years old and managing to still sell bracelets.  She gave me the okay to take pictures of them.  If I was rich, I would be broke because I think I would spend my free time handing out shoes and necessities to the poor.  Nevertheless, I like to remind my kids of how fortunate they are and to give back.

Thanks for reading my ramblings...and enjoy my pics.













Comments

Popular Posts